Passports & Visas

Passport Information

Students must have a valid passport that does not expire for AT LEAST six months AFTER their program ENDS in order to study abroad.Students may actually be denied entry to other countries, otherwise.

Do you have a valid passport, good for AT LEAST six months AFTER your program ENDS?

If not, U.S. citizens may visit the following link to learn how to apply for or renew their U.S. passport:

We also now have a passport office on campus!

Check out this link to the Printing and Mail Services Facility to find out more.


Note: Passports can take several weeks to obtain. Students should apply for or renew their passports well in advance of their acceptance to a study abroad program.

Non-U.S. citizens must contact the appropriate authority in their home countries to obtain a passport.

United States Passport

Visa Information

In addition to a passport, students may need a valid visa to study abroad. A visa is official permission from a foreign country’s government to enter and/or stay in the country.

To determine if a visa is necessary and how one may be obtained, students should check the website of the consulate or embassy of the country in which they plan to study.Students may also visit the U.S. State Department’s website to find country specific visa information:

Note: Visas can take several weeks to obtain.Students who need a visa should apply for a visa only after official acceptance to their program and in enough time to receive it before the program begins.

Education Abroad holds visa workshops throughout the semester to provide limited assistance to students with visa related questions. Dates and times will be posted on the news areas of our website and the main calendar for UA. Please keep in mind, however, that Education Abroad is NOT a visa processing office and is not responsible if a student’s visa application is denied.