English + Business Program
Learn about U.S. business concepts and practices while improving your English-language skills.
- Program offered by The University of Alabama English Language Institute and The Culverhouse College of Commerce
- Graduate business school ranked in the top 30 public universities (U.S. News and World Report 2018)
- Short-term program offered three times a year to accommodate working professionals
- Certificate awarded upon completion of the program
- 45 hours of English instruction
- 9 hours of business lectures by invited business professors
- 2-3 visits to local corporations or businesses
- Welcome reception and farewell dinner
|Program Dates||Deadline to Apply||Arrival Dates||Departure Dates||Cost|
|January 3 –
February 1, 2019
(19 class days)
|November 1, 2018||January 2, 2019||February 2, 2019||$3,175|
|August 19 –
September 13, 2019
(17 class days)
|June 14, 2019||August 18, 2019||September 14, 2019||$3,175|
- Tuition and fees for English and business instruction
- Corporate visits
- Required textbooks and materials
- Medical insurance
- Welcome reception and farewell dinner
- Airport transfers from and to Birmingham, Alabama (BHM) on designated arrival and departure dates
Intensive English (45+ hours of instruction): Participants take English classes in Reading/Writing and Speaking/Listening courses. In addition, participants take a Business English class in conjunction with business lectures and workshops.
Each student’s proficiency in English and appropriate ELI level of instruction will be determined by means of the ELI Placement Exam, which is administered at the beginning of the program. English instruction takes place during each weekday morning.
Business Lectures/Workshops (9 hours of instruction): The UA Culverhouse College of Commerce as well as other University of Alabama colleges and departments offer a minimum of 6 business-related lectures. Lectures typically focus on different areas of business study related to the following general topics:
- Risk Management
- Supply Chain
- Operations Management
- Business Commuication
- Trade between Alabama and the world
Lectures are scheduled in the afternoons two or three days per week. Each lecture is schedules for approximately 1.5 hours, including time for questions and answers.
Corporate Visits (2-3 visits): One of the corporate visits is typically to Mercedes-Benz US International, which is located in Tuscaloosa County. Other possible visits include Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama in Montgomery, Regions Bank (a Fortune 500 Company), Flower Foods, Cadence Bank, or other local corporations in the following fields:
- agriculture/aquiculture (e.g., catfish farming)
- medical/health care
- steel milling
Cultural Activities: A welcome reception for the participants is held at the beginning of the program in order to allow the students to meet and socialize with the English teachers, the business lecturers, and other program staff members.
A closing ceremony, including a formal dinner, is held at a popular local restaurant. At the closing, each participant receives a group photo, a certificate of participation, and a UA T-shirt.
Housing: Program participants live in UA campus residence halls with roommates. Depending on space availability, participants room either with each other or with other UA-ELI students.
Meals: Participants may eat their meals in cafeterias located on the UA campus or in restaurants located within walking distance of the campus.
Access to Facilities and Events: Participants will have full access to all facilities, resources, and events (academic, cultural, and sporting) at UA.
Participants will receive I-20 documents from The University of Alabama and will use these documents to obtain student (F-1) visas to the United States by applying through the local US embassy or consulate in their respective country.
Download a printable .pdf version of the English + Business Program Application.
For More Information
For more information, please contact the UA English Language Institute at email@example.com or 205-348-7413.