Before You Return

Before returning back to the United States be sure to close out and finalize all necessary items while in country. This could be things such as:

  • Closing out your international bank account
  • Ending service for a cell phone
  • Alerting your housing that you will be moving out.


In preparation for your return to The University of Alabama, don’t forget to:

Study Abroad Transcripts

Have transcripts mailed to:
135 B.B. Comer, Box 870254
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0254

OR transcripts may be emailed to

Register for Classes

Don’t forget to communicate with your regular academic advisor to register for your next semester here at the university!

Arrange Housing

For off campus housing options for after you return please visit

Study Abroad Transcripts: More Information

The Office of the University Registrar requires original, official, sealed transcripts from the host institution in order to post all grades and coursework. In order to receive credit, UA students must request official transcripts to be sent to the UA Education Abroad office. As noted above, transcripts can be sent one of two ways: (1) digitally (via email) or (2) via mail (physical copy).

(1) Digital/Electronic transcripts are preferred. The transcript can be sent (from the institution) to

(2) If sending via mail, have the transcript sent to the following address:

Education Abroad
The University of Alabama
Attn: International Transcript Processing
Box 870254
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487-0254

All official transcripts must be sent directly from the international institution, domestic institution, or affiliate provider issuing transcripts for your study abroad program. (We do NOT accept transcripts from students.) Note also that if a student hopes to attend graduate school or professional school in the future, it is advised that the student request additional copies of transcripts while they are still abroad.

After You Return

Similar to the cultural adjustment pattern when arriving in a foreign country, you may experience stages of cultural adjustment when returning home.

Read over the Re-Entry and Cultural Adjustment to learn more!


Global Opportunities at UA and Away!

For many students, study abroad is only the beginning of a lifetime of engaged interest in all things international. Many return home and want to expand upon their international experience while at UA and even after they finish their degree.

The following opportunities are great ways to build global competencies, help other UA students go abroad, learn a foreign language, gain international work experience, and get paid to study, live, work, and travel in a foreign country. All of which could be the kick start to your international career!

Global and Cultural Perspectives Minor

The University of Alabama’s Global and Cultural Perspectives minor (GCP) is designed to introduce undergraduate students to the cultural, economics, physical, and political aspects of being a world citizen in the 21st century. Earning the GCP minor will improve a student’s global awareness while enhancing their resume. To earn the GCP minor students must successfully complete 15 hours of coursework specific to the GCP minor.

Visit the Global and Cultural Perspectives Minor page to learn more!

U.S. Student Fulbright Program

The U.S Student Fulbright Program is designed to give recent college graduates, graduate students, and young professionals the opportunity for personal growth in an international context. Most awards are for one academic year.

There are two basic types of grants:

  • Study/Research Grants and
  • English Teaching Assistantship Grants

Today the Fulbright U.S. Student Program is the largest U.S. exchange program offering students and recent graduates international opportunities to study, conduct research and teach. Each year, approximately 1,600 Americans study or conduct research in over 140 nations with the support of the Fulbright.

This is a fully funded program through the U.S. State Department. For more information, visit the U.S. Fulbright Program page, email or stop by 135 BB Comer.

Peace Corps

The Peace Corps is a service opportunity for motivated change makers to immerse themselves in a community abroad, working side by side with local leaders to tackle the most pressing challenges of our generation. Peace Corps service is 27 months and can be completed in one of over 60 countries. With multiple sectors of service, finding a job to fit your interests and skills is easy! Visit the Peace Corps page to learn more about the program.

The closest Peace Corps recruiter is located in Birmingham, but she makes frequent trips to UA to talk with students. You can reach Kenyatta Spiller are

Teaching Abroad

TESOL – Earn your teaching certification while abroad
CELTA – Earn your teaching certification while abroad
JETAEON – Teach English in Japan
EPIK/TALK – Teach English in Korea
TAPIF – Teach English in France