Pathway to UA
- One or two-semester program
- No test score for UA Academic Admission
- Earn college credit while improving your English
- Begin in August, January, or May
Undergraduate Conditional Admission
- Conditional Admission for undergraduate study (bachelor’s degree)
- Finish the ELI Level 6 with 2.0 Grade Point Average
Graduate Conditional Admission
- Provisional Language Admission for graduate study (master’s or doctoral degree)
- Complete Level 6 with a 3.0 Grade Point Average
The ELI provides academic advising for its students who wish to pursue undergraduate or graduate degrees, whether at The University of Alabama or at another college or university. Academic advising includes information and assistance regarding how to select and apply to colleges and universities.
Concurrent University Study
ELI students who are interested in taking undergraduate courses for credit at UA may qualify for concurrent enrollment (i.e., taking a combination of ELI and undergraduate courses at the same time) by satisfying one of the requirements found in Appendix 3 of the ELI Student Handbook. See the ELI Student Handbook (available on the Forms Page) or speak with the ELI Academic Advisor for more information.
It also may be possible for ELI students in Levels 4, 5, or 6 to gain valuable experience by visiting an undergraduate course at UA while they are studying English. Permission to do this is given to students who are doing satisfactory work in their ELI classes and is dependent on obtaining the professor’s permission.