Program Types

Mallory Clark - Studying on the Italian Countryside - Chianti, Italy - UA in Italy Art History

With hundreds of programs to choose from, you may need some assistance narrowing down your options. The answers to these questions can help steer you in the right direction.

  • Why do I want to go abroad?
  • What subject areas do I want to study?
  • What academic requirements might I need to complete abroad?
  • What is my foreign language ability? Do I speak another language and do I want to use that language abroad?
  • What country or region of the world appeals most to me?
  • Would I rather live in an urban or rural location?
  • Would I prefer to live with a host family or in a dorm or student apartment?
  • What year do I want study to abroad?
  • How long would I like my program to last?
  • How will I pay for my study abroad experience?
  • Do I need financial assistance?

UA Faculty-Led Programs

Faculty-led programs are led by UA faculty, professors, and instructors from specific departments at UA. All courses taken abroad are UA courses with credit coming from the hosting department. Students will travel as a group, taking classes with UA faculty either on host university campuses or while traveling to various sites. Faculty-led programs are usually in the summer and require minimum a 2.2 GPA.

Students pay a program fee that includes tuition, housing abroad, in-country travel, international insurance, and other on-site expenses. Generally, this fee DOES NOT include airfare. Program fees will be charged to the student’s UA account and will be paid directly through Student Receivables or myBama.

*Faculty-Led programs vary from year to year. A complete listing of all summer programs will usually be available mid-fall.


back to top

UA Exchange Programs

The University of Alabama has partnerships with various universities in multiple countries worldwide. Through these partnerships, we send and receive students internationally for one or two semesters, giving them the opportunity to experience immersion into a different culture.

Students must hold a 3.0 GPA at the time of application and be enrolled at UA for at least one semester before participation. Language requirements vary by program.

Students will be charged tuition rates based on their residency. UA tuition and fees will be charged to the student’s UA account and will be paid directly through Student Accounts or myBama. Housing and living expenses will be paid directly to the host university for most programs.*

UA students are enrolled in a CIP placeholder course and credit will be awarded upon receipt of their study abroad program transcript. All course work completed on the exchange program will be applied to the student’s UA transcript as institutional credit receiving a grade of pass/fail.

*In addition to UA tuition and fees, students studying at Kansai Gaidai will pay room and board through Student Receivables or myBama.



Queensland University of Technology

Politecnico di Torino


Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore-Milan

Klagenfurt University

Universita delgi Studi G. D’Annunzio Chieti Pescara



HEC-University of Liege

Chiba University


Hiroshima Univerity

Aarhus University

Kansai Gaidai University


Meiji University

University of Birmingham

Ritsumeikan University

University of Hull


University of Leicester

Hanze University Groningen



Bordeaux Management School

University of Glasgow

University Francois-Rabelais-Tours

South Korea

University of Poitiers

Yonsei University



Ausburg University of Applied Sciences

Feng Chia University

Esslingen University of Applied Sciences    


Freie University

Aberystwyth University

University of Mannheim


back to top

UA Affiliate and Direct Enroll Programs

UA affiliate and direct enroll programs allow students to enroll in a partner university or program through a third-party-provider. GPA requirements vary by program. Students are billed by the program provider or the host institution and pay fees directly to the provider; students will not pay UA tuition to The University of Alabama.

UA students are enrolled in a CIP placeholder course and credit will be awarded upon receipt of their study abroad program transcript. Programs awarding credit through a domestic transcript will be reflected on the UA transcript as whatever grade is shown on the transcript (whether a letter grade or pass/fail). Programs awarding credit through non-domestic institutions will be reflected on the UA transcript as pass/fail credit.

Affiliate Program Providers

AIFS – American Institute for Foreign Study

CISabroad – Center for International Studies Abroad

API – Academic Programs International

IFSA-Butler – Institute for Study Abroad Butler University

Arcadia – Arcadia University School of Global Studies

ISA – International Studies Abroad

ASA – Academic Studies Abroad

LdM – Lorenzo de; Medici Institute

CAPA – CAPA International Education

SAI – SAI Programs

CEA – CEA Study Abroad

S@S – Semester at Sea

CIEE – Council on International Education Exchange

USAC – University Studies Abroad Consortium

CIMBA – Consortium of Management and Business Analysis


Direct Enroll Universities


Non-UA Affiliate Programs

These are programs through a third-party-provider or another university with whom UA does not have an affiliation agreement. These programs have not been vetted by the UA Education Abroad office. Other matters, like using a scholarship to pay for the program or applying to the UA Education Abroad Scholarship, may be impacted by the program’s status as a non-affiliate. Transfer credit is not guaranteed. To apply for one of these programs you will need to submit an application for a non-affiliate program.

back to top

Travel Registration (Non-Credit)

University of Alabama students traveling abroad for a UA-affiliated purpose (e.g. student organization, service opportunity, non-credit bearing internship, conference, research etc.), but NOT receiving academic credit, should complete the Student Travel Registration application. While participating in university related activities and programs, students are required to have adequate health & travel insurance that includes medical, repatriation and evacuation assistance for the duration of their international travel. The UA Education Abroad office provides a policy through International SOS. As a part of travel registration, students will be enrolled into the insurance while abroad. For more information, call the Education Abroad office at 205-348-5256 or email If a student IS receiving academic credit for an international experience, they must do a regular study abroad application found at

Apply here: UA Student International Travel Registration


back to top