Click on the Education Abroad Snapshots below to see specific data for each year, including most popular locations, most popular majors and other demographic information regarding study abroad at The University of Alabama.
Download Education Abroad Snapshots
• 2020-2021 Education Abroad Snapshot
• 2019-2020 Education Abroad Snapshot
• 2018-2019 Education Abroad Snapshot
• 2017-2018 Education Abroad Snapshot
• 2016-2017 Education Abroad Snapshot
• 2015-2016 Education Abroad Snapshot
• 2014-2015 Education Abroad Snapshot
English Language Institute
Intensive English Program (IEP)
Enrolls an average of 75 students per session from 16 different countries in each of 6 sessions annually.
Top 5 countries of enrollment: Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Japan, China, Colombia
International Student Body Demographics by Region: Middle East 35%, Asia 31%, Europe 18%, Latin America 15%, Africa 1%
Serves as the Gateway to UA for international students who are non-native speakers of English, with approximately 25% of enrolled students intending to matriculate into UA degree programs.
International Teaching Assistant Program (ITAP)
Provides training for and evaluation of non-native speakers of English who serve as UA graduate teaching assistants (GTAs).
Enrolls an average of 120 international graduate students annually at UA.
Ensures that GTAs are sufficiently proficient in English before they are placed in a classroom setting with teaching responsibilities.
- The ELI has over 6,500 alumni in roughly 95 countries around the world.
- The ELI plays a major role in international-student recruitment at UA.
- The ELI’s Intensive English Program is accredited by CEA (Commission on English Language Program Accreditation).
International Student & Scholar Services
The International Student & Scholar Report provides an overview of international student enrollment and international scholar activity at the University of Alabama. The numbers included in the 2022 report are for the fall 2022 semester for student data and for the period of July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022 for scholar data. This report includes all international students enrolled at The University of Alabama and all international scholars, faculty, and staff who work at UA. For reporting purposes, “international” is understood as a non-U.S. citizen, holding any visa status other than Legal Permanent Residency, Resident Alien, Asylee, or Refugee.
Download Student and Scholar Reports
• 2022 International Student & Scholar Full Report– (Snapshot Data)
• 2021 International Student & Scholar Full Report– (Snapshot Data)
• 2020 International Student & Scholar Full Report– (Snapshot Data)
• 2019 International Student & Scholar Full Report– (Snapshot Data)
• 2018 International Student & Scholar Full Report– (Snapshot Data)
• 2017 International Student & Scholar Full Report– (Snapshot Data)
• 2016 International Student & Scholar Full Report– (Snapshot Data)
• 2015 International Student & Scholar Full Report– (Snapshot Data)
• 2014 International Student & Scholar Full Report
• 2013 International Student & Scholar Full Report
• 2012 International Student & Scholar Full Report
• 2011 International Student & Scholar Full Report
FALL 2022 INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ENROLLMENT
As of fall 2022, ISSS served 1118 active, enrolled international students, including 246 new international students.
Of the 246 new international students UA welcomed in Fall 2022, there were 188 first-time and internal transfer graduate students, 50 first-time Freshmen, and 8 first-time undergraduate transfer students.
In addition to the 1118 active, enrolled international students served by ISSS, there are an additional 175 recent graduates who remain on The University of Alabama’s visa sponsorship while working on Optional Practical Training (OPT).
Counting these two populations together, the total number of international students served by ISSS is 1293.
The 1118 active, enrolled international students come from 88 countries, territories, and regions of the world and represent 2.9% of the 38,645* students enrolled at The University of Alabama for fall 2022. (*from http://oira.ua.edu/factbook/contents/Student-Enrollment/)
INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARS, FACULTY, AND STAFF 2021-22
International scholar and faculty numbers at The University of Alabama reported for 2022 (the period between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022) totaled 277 non-immigrants, representing 44 countries and territories.